Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus

Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus
St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori, ora pro nobis!

The Distraction of That One Sin



We all have that one sin. That one sin that we feel drags us down, oppresses us, and particularly embarrasses us. It is the one sin that we find ourselves confessing time and time again, much to our shame. Often times we may believe that this sin and this sin alone stands between us and holiness. "If I could just get past this one sin, then I would truly be saintly," we tell ourselves. What the sin is exactly does not matter; it differs from person to person. For some it may be masturbation; for others, screaming at the children or talking down to the wife. Maybe it is using bad language at work or some similar accommodation with the mores of the world. Whatever the sin is, we have all had the experience. That one sin.

I myself had (or believed I had) "that one sin" for many years. No matter how well other things were going in my life, I always returned to this one sin, as a dog to vomit. It was profoundly embarrassing to have to keep coming back to confession every month and confessing the same thing; of course, the shame I felt was entirely in my head, a coming to terms with my own weakness rather than any condemnation laid upon me by the priest. This sin somehow became central in my life, in such a manner that I came to view it as the fundamental roadblock between myself and holiness, so that all the focus of my thoughts became on how bad this sin was and how hindered I was so long as I kept succumbing to it. Yet despite these observations, things did not get better. I seemed as stuck in the rut as ever.

read more:http://www.unamsanctamcatholicam.com/spirituality/82-spirtuality/381-that-one-sin.html

No comments:

Post a Comment